What does it take to become a high performance team?
By Senior Master Sgt. Chris Underwood, 129th Rescue Wing Human Resources Advisor
/ Published June 01, 2009
MOFFETT FEDERAL AIRFIELD, Calif. -- With a commitment to work together as high performing teams, we maximize our strengths and capabilities to rise above any challenge. As an Airman, you are never alone!
As most of us are familiar, here are some popular quotes regarding teamwork:
- "It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit."
- "There is no "I" in "TEAMWORK."
- "Teamwork: Simply stated, it is less me and more we."
- "TEAM = Together Everyone Achieves More"
We must continue to remind ourselves of the important concepts in these quotes, and how much more stronger, powerful, and conscientious we are as a team. And as we, the 129th Rescue Wing, has reaped the benefits of teamwork as an "Air Force Outstanding Unit Award" for 2008, let's continue this momentum toward greatness. We've demonstrated that together we are better.
As we continue to push the flywheel and raise the bar that the Air National Guard Office of Cultural Leadership and Development has set for us, continue the momentum by interweaving these points into your agendas for all meetings and monthly roll-calls:
- High performance teams seek opportunities to capitalize on the synergy of their Airmen to maximize and improve overall fundamental strength and the highest standards for efficiency.
- Achieving our mission is our highest priority. That will be achieved when we as leaders have the humility to rise above personal ego to serve the cause, the goal and the mission.
Ask yourself, "What did I do today to push on the flywheel?" As a seamless team, we are able to overcome any challenge. We must continue to show the same resolve and determination towards:
- Excellence: Do I go beyond competitive standards?
- Teamwork: Is our team a team that produces superior results?
- Empowerment: Are all teams of Airmen provided freedom, decision authority and resources to excel?
Organizations and individuals do not achieve greatness by accident. On that note I leave you with two great quotes regarding teamwork:
"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society." Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame football coach for the NFL)
"Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success. "
Henry Ford (Founder of Ford Motor Company)