The 129th Safety Files: One Accident Affects Many
By Tech. Sgt. Vincent Brouillard, 129th Rescue Wing Safety and Health Specialist
/ Published August 04, 2010
MOFFETT FEDERAL AIRFIELD, Calif. --
Have you ever thought about the impact that one accident can have on an organization. Think about the impact for a minute, think about how an organization would function if an employee has been injured at work and put medical leave. What are the impacts?
- Time and effort is needed to train another employee to do the job
- Others must now pick up the slack, work harder and possibly work longer hours
- Employees now can't taking vacation time to keep from falling too far behind
- The decline in employee morale
- The time to conduct an investigation in support of the employees mishap
- Production loss in down time while you train other employees
- Medical costs, compensation costs, overtime costs, etc....
A mishap doesn't just affect one person; it affects the entire team, office or possibly a wing. Next time you think about cutting corners at work, think about the effect you could have on your co-workers and the mission. Your fellow employees are counting on you to do the right thing.